Saturday, July 12, 2008

Am I yet to see the second?

Politics has never been a topic which has captured my thought process. But then, is there a thought process when it comes to Indian Politics? You may search tomes of political history, apply theories which would usually lend to various strategies and ruminate to figure out the whole process – the result would be sheer helplessness.

The architect of India’s economic turnaround in 1991 is merely considered to indulge in lip sync. I am sure even his worst (intellectual)detractor would not want to believe this. The same architect and his council of ministers spin a strategy which would almost obviate the Non Proliferation Treaty and yet ensure India is adequately armed for the future in terms of raw materials, power and technology.

Alas! this strategy cannot topple the complex labyrinth of Indian politics. The Marxists do not see how it would cater to present and future needs of the common man. By the way should not this be the foundations of Marxism? Some say this how The Great Wall speaks.

Then there is the Sikh factor. How can we betray our alliance with the NDA and yet how can we topple a Sikh, said one party. And I thought this was restricted to how we choose our Presidents!!

Indian Politics is a complex melodrama. There was Italy which history suggests was confused(inadvertently I must clarify),during the World War. Then we have the Bicycle party which abhors the Elephant Rule in Uttar Pradesh. And then, they would ensure they throw in a spanner or two in the Corporate Brotherly rift.

The looks of this treaty are positive. But, history always rekindles gruesome memories. Some even go to the extent of praying that this not is the next Bofors. Yes, the budget has been lackadaisical and in parts so has been the government (though there are areas which I would say it has been good). But I do hope the no-confidence motion does not spin this ‘possible’ deal into turmoil.

But then, here is another thought. How did we, with our messy democratic framework, ever achieve and sustain the 9% GDP growth rate? Perhaps the devolution of power to Panchayats, ages ago was the first step. Am I yet to see the second?

P.S - The blog has been subject to grammatical scrutiny by the literary genius who happens to be my cousin

5 comments:

Anusha Ramanathan said...

You NUTCASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What scrutiny - you changed whatever needed to be changed - you would have corrected yourself, even if I hadn't delighted in gaining the upper hand for once. :)

You are usually word perfect and that is why the first time round I was surprised to see minor errors.

Literary genius indeed! You hold that title in this family dear cuz. :)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

And yes I am mean - after all I have had umpteen years to sharpen my skills on you.

Thank you for your services - hope the association continues for ages, in a similar fashion :)

Anusha Ramanathan said...

Aah! You expected me to comment on the Politics, did you?
Well, I did comment on that too.

See, India is a big country
That firmly believes that we are all a big family.
So airing dirty laundry
Is our USP.
All I did was extend the argument
And shared with the world how one comment
Can mislead all from the crux of the matter
And tear all worthy causes (such as your this piece) asunder.

Ever the blabberer
Your big sister. :)

Easwar Subramanian said...

Thank You my GENIUS cousin.

Thank You for being the Literary Genius. Thank You for giving me an opportunity to 'look up' to you.

And yes as far as services go - I too hope it goes on unabated for eons!!

Anusha Ramanathan said...

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is how you shut smart asses' mouths.

Little Cuz - your remark is as smart as Winston churchill's retort to Lady Astor that he would drink the arsenic laden tea she would serve him if he were her husband. :)

Smart real smart. :)