Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Why would he be so selfish?

A tired and resigned look daubed my face,
I clutched my way to find a seat- much wanted,
A wry looking man occupied the seat next – friendliness on his face – not a trace.

I was feeling bitter and angst seethed beneath my calm reserve,
The man next, occupied more than what should be his legal right,
His legs spread, breaching into space which I deserve.

All the hatred in my heart I did suppress, which I thought magnanimous,
Why would he be so selfish? I did ponder,
Let me pardon men, their trespasses – I smiled feeling auspicious.

My home finally was in sight and I trampled towards the exit ahead,
In deep wonder as I sauntered, a man limped (perhaps polio?) his way, out of the corner,
My heart bled, it was the man for whom contempt I had bred.

5 comments:

Anusha Ramanathan said...

Contempt is too strong a word used
For a momentary feeling of angst.
When fatigued we are each guilty of abuse
For which later we suffer pangs.

It does not matter as much
You felt 'righteous contempt'for a fool.
It matters more that even in distress
You 'magnanimously' kept your cool.

That is something to take pride in
That is something that you will remember
The next time a guy does not to society's mores give in
You will recall this moment and be even more liberal.

:) proud of you bro.

Anusha Ramanathan said...

AND

I totally agree with Chithi (your mum) that this poem is way above the Strawberry Milk one.

This does not remind me of T.S.Eliot's poems where I constantly had to look up the footnotes to think i understood the poem :))

Kudos to you Bro for finally settling into our plateau of thought when expressing your ideas and sensitivity.

See you are growing more and more sensitive to others by the day.

I can hopefully retire my Dictionary again. Hippeee Hooray!!!!!

And I get to read lovely poems too.

Way to go!!

:D

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant ... loved both of your poems ...really moving and yes as Anusha said ...simple! lower mortals like me can understand and relate to it...

You were feeling pity for him and bad for yourself when you saw his pain ... however what if this man was not in pain or if you would not have seen him limping? You were kind enough to let go your feelings of hatred with a smile ... lot of us dont ...if at all people could do this world would be a better place :)

loved the poems !!

Nilesh said...

Okay..so now we move from the wonders of life to human sufferings as the subject?Nice :-) did you mean to change subjects?
But never, i think, judge anyone or anything at the first glance. I guess everything and every one deserves to be given enough time to unravel. Just that, we as a species, are running mighty short of a virtue called patience eh?