Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Will you buy me some milk?

One fine day a young girl tapped on my hand,
Desolate she looked, sorrow too early for her innocent brow,
Lips curved –where a smile deserved to stand.

Sir, will you buy me some milk, she said in a voice low,
I stared – curiosity asked why do you ask for milk and not anything else?
She smiled, hiding the trouble which brewed in her heart below.

Money – do not mistake me sir – I find no use for,
A pang of hunger from my younger brother does make me stir,
I do not ask for free, this post card for the trade, of this city which I adore.

I smiled, simplicity and the plight had its toll,
Milk was bartered for a tattered post card,
I wished for the grief to fade and for a smile forever to roll.

I wish!

7 comments:

Charu said...

"I wished for the grief to fade and for a smile forever to roll"

I wish love,care,food and hope for little angel

Anonymous said...

Life this is, cruel & wry
We have so much, yet we cry...
To understand its value
We can only hope to try...

no doubt-jo mil gaya usi ko muqaddar samajh liya :)

Heman - What a name! I know, but let it be said...

I wish there were more good people like you,
generous to such Angels and willing to lend an ear too! :-)

Nilesh said...

Sweet! I do not want to generously heap praises on you cause its a token act of kindness.Armchair activism.Hope the girl has said her thank you. :) But the verse is brilliant and touching!

Anusha Ramanathan said...

Sometimes, words fail me,
Tears choke me,
The heart slows its beat,
The air stills around me.

Sometimes when I read lines somewhere,
Depicting humanity's despair,
I can only wipe my tears,
I can only add another name in my prayers.


On a lighter note:

From Sep 14 to Oct 15th -
It has been a long wait indeed!

Anonymous said...

Wow ... beautifully written. Touched my heart
- Jasma

Anonymous said...

Too Good!

(I am getting through these now, was out for a while. Now realize what I have been missing)