Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mumbai Diaries - Kala Ghoda aur Gori Kapoor

Three seas and one strait (and yes plenty of other perennial and non-perennial water bodies) away I ponder over events which waft fresh in my memory in what, now, appears to be a distant corner of the time frame. Without meandering much over water bodies and their perennial state, let me rewind the reel of time to set the stage at Kala Ghoda Festival 2009.

As Jhansi and myself sauntered, in the oppressing heat of the mid-day sun – she effectively shielded me from any direct rays – the sun accidently discovered me – courtesy Snell’s law applied along the periphery of her body, we encountered paradise. A very contemplative looking David Sassoon- appreciating art perhaps – on the façade of the David Sassoon library, which never fails to inspire poetry. The building manifests rows of black columns, on the first floor, which lend in to proud high arches endowed in alternating white and yellow-brown stones. Against this background was the Kala Ghoda Festival.









Jhansi, donning an extra kilogram of verve compared to last time, was glee personified as we descried artifacts ranging from – Man on Rope, Ganesha made of spare bicycle parts(400 Kgs of them), a tall pyramid adorned with mugs and taps – now that beats me and yes a half decorated(with red glazed paper) balloon. Had the balloon been fully wrapped, it might not have met the guidelines to be there – lucky balloon!












However this particular piece at the festival stole my heart(considering that I have weakness for windows) -












A round at the Jehangir Art Gallery, where we appreciated art based on the quoted price(under the assumption that higher price would mean better art) and multiple rounds of chocolates – Mousse et al later, we met up with Ashish, who incidentally likes mirrors and being photographed through reflective properties of light. The day flashed by and yes sun cleverly rolled over sides to finally catch me unawares, and it was time to adieu to Kala Ghoda and my tall warrior cousin.

My Mumbai diaries were also endowed by secretive creatures like Beaver. Let me tell you about Beaver – very shy creature, remains quiet only when in burrows and ensconced in sleep, likes pruning claws (err nails), adores chocolates and yes loves the winds along the Arabian Sea. As Beaver and I, in deep tete-a-tete sauntered along streets of Bandra, we encountered magnificent whiteness. As my heart leaped, palpitating my entire Thoracic cavity, at the extreme suffering of this Leukoderma patient, my head swiveled propelled by some sudden realization by the efficient nerves along the spinal cord. ‘Haila Karishma Kapoor to bahut gori hain be’ – were the involuntary words that were led through by those same efficient blighters. The shock so severely affected my memory cells that I inadvertently missed on the promise made to Beaver – a splurge on Vada Pav!

As days drew to a close, my final stop was obeisance to Pinks and Giraffe. Pinks was her usual punctual self as examples of chivalry- Giraffe and myself turned up only an hour late. I have only the ADAG group to blame(check out Metro construction site at Saki Naka yourself).

The day of rude awakening was approaching – for I had to check to work soon – and this episode of Mumbai diaries was seeing its last chapters. On the penultimate day I had a surprise phone call from none other than the effervescent PC on his way to Mumbai from Baroda. A pact was made that we meet before the chapter ends. However that pact, unfortunately and hopefully, would have to be fulfilled only when Mumbai Diaries gets re-opened, the next time.

5 comments:

Anusha Ramanathan said...

It shames me. It truly does that I thought I could do any justice to a lovely trip with a five minute late night rhyme.

Bro, you weave magic with your words. The trip seems even more delightful seen through your lens. :) PUN intended :)

Love the windows pic especially. The snail pic is good.

so no Kobe's huh?
keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah the shock was too much for you ... so you forgot to treat me with mumbai speciality... As for the claws .. wait till i dig them in your flesh along with my beaver special teeth :P

Beaver

Charu said...

I agree with Anusha ... you weave magic with your words :)

arjun said...

It was definitely quite a pleasure meeting you and reading your recollection of thoughts.Of course i caught up with Anusha after a long time :)

Love your exuberance with words and your passion with the lens.

Keep rocking mate !

Unknown said...

i simply loved the window!! awsome work with the lens tho a few pics seemed out of focus. :-)